The care and feeding of the Tomlinson Arboretum will take center stage at a special 90-minute presentation entitled Partnerships and Prairies: Caring for the Wildflowers and Wildlife at the Tomlinson Arboretum. The presentation begins at 10:30 a.m. Saturday April 18 at the Clinton Township Civic Center, 40700 Romeo Plank Road. Doors to the township’s Board Room will open at 10 a.m. on the north end of the building.
Sponsored by the Arboretum Committee and the Charter Township of Clinton, the presentation will feature guest speaker and Landscape Ecologist Martha Holzheuer of Environmental Consulting and Technology, Inc.
Other featured speakers will include Clinton Township Supervisor Robert Cannon, Clinton Township Parks and Public Works Director Mary Bednar, and ITC Regional Manager Gary Kirsh. Arboretum Committee Chairperson Ray Glime and Friends of the Arboretum Coordinator Dan Lepo will also speak.
Holzheuer will address the approaches to take in prairie restoration and management beneath power lines in the arboretum, as well as working with natural resource agencies. She will discuss developing field-based staff training and building a sense of pride and ownership in volunteers and in the community at large.
Invasive species control, native right-of-way plantings and annual monitoring and species surveying will also be discussed.
The program will end at 12 noon and will be followed by a guided tour of the Arboretum.
For further information go to the Arboretum website at: www.arboretum.ctwphc.org.
Black River Preserve to Receive over 200 Trees
A tree planting project during Earth Week and Arbor Day beginning on April 18th. William Strong, a director with Keep Michigan Beautiful, Inc. planned the event and will be joined by: Southwest Land Conservancy-Nate Fuller, Van Buren Conservation District- AJ Brucks Exe. Director, SWMG Sierra Group-Wm. Strong, Keep Michigan Beautiful-Wm. Strong, Kalamazoo Environmental Council-Wm. Strong, Audubon Rep, and South Haven Boy Scout Troop188. Strong plans to plant over 200 oak and hickory trees.
Michigan Clean-Up Days
"Michigan Clean-Up Days" (April 1-May 31) has officially been proclaimed by Governor Rick Snyder. (see link for official lproclamation) Now is the time to get involved in a project in your community. We are especially excited this year in that KMB will be partnering with Keep America Beautiful as part of the Great American Clean-Up. Is your group planning a project? If so, let us know so that we can promote it for you on our website.
Register your clean up event by completing and submitting the form below. Click the Great American Cleanup below to register at Keep America Beautiful.
Our Mission Statement
To promote, to provide education and to recognize beautification and restoration projects throughout the state of Michigan
• Beautification • Clean-Up • Environmental Enhancement
• Site Restoration • Historical Preservation
Keep Michigan Beautiful, Inc. (KMB) is a non-profit, educational organization incorporated under the laws of the State of Michigan, and this is our Web site.
- KMB is comprised of volunteers—men, women and youth—who work on a wide variety of projects intended to carry out the objectives of KMB. Included are municipalities, businesses, foundations, local clubs / organizations, schools and places of worship.
- KMB is supported by Donor-Memberships, other contributions and various fund raising campaigns. It enjoys the moral support of state agencies which also have a direct interest in controlling the problems created by litter. There are many membership categories available; each is important to continue our programs and growth.
KMB's Objectives Are:
- To coordinate the annual statewide "Clean-up Days" (April 1–May 31)
- To promote beautification and restoration projects.
- To encourage enhancement of environmental quality.
- To distribute pertinent information to individuals and groups interested in developing projects that realize the above objectives..
- To host the Annual Awards Program to recognize efforts that contribute to the fulfilment of the goals of KMB.